Republica SMP

Welcome to the Official Forums for the Republica SMP server. Please use the buttons below to either Register or Log In.

*Please not that registering on the forums does note mean you have been accepted on the server. You will still have to fill out an application in the Applications/Promotions/Appeals section of the forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Republica SMP

Welcome to the Official Forums for the Republica SMP server. Please use the buttons below to either Register or Log In.

*Please not that registering on the forums does note mean you have been accepted on the server. You will still have to fill out an application in the Applications/Promotions/Appeals section of the forum

Republica SMP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Server IP: republica.forumotion.com

+21
Desflurane
xxswitchblade1
NoIceAge
Aekely
dt546
iamminion
123dfed
danger2012lol
Realirony
WaxCrayon
UltraInnes
Earl_Parvisjam
Ragnas
Alec
xXProdigalXx
Sir_Sheep
CEOpotamus
SupahTree
henryryckeley
Schlichtinator
jefe323
25 posters

The Great 1.8 Debate

Poll

Should items/money/etc be transfered over to a new world?

[ 6 ]
    The Great 1.8 Debate I_vote_lcap29%The Great 1.8 Debate I_vote_rcap [29%] 
    [ 15 ]
    The Great 1.8 Debate I_vote_lcap71%The Great 1.8 Debate I_vote_rcap [71%] 

Total Votes: 21
    jefe323
    jefe323
    Owner

The Great 1.8 Debate Empty The Great 1.8 Debate

Post by jefe323 Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:21 pm

If you haven't heard, 1.8 will probably be dropping in the next couple weeks. It features a wide array of new features like a new mob, npc villages, better dungeons, ravinens, rivers and more. Now the shitty part is since our map is pretty well explored we won't be able to see these new features. Now comes the hard decision...do we bite the bullet and keep on playing with this map, or do we move to a new 1.8 map. Please voice your opinions in the poll and in this thread.

Some things to consider:
    -I can keep the current world on the server for awhile(so you can transfer items, etc)
    -I can transfer whole buildings/towns over to a new map (if you so wish)

Edit: updated poll with new question

Last edited by jefe323 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Schlichtinator
    Player

The Great 1.8 Debate Empty Re: The Great 1.8 Debate

Post by Schlichtinator Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:15 pm

New map. If things can be transfered, then that is the way to go.
    henryryckeley
    henryryckeley
    Donator

Post by henryryckeley Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:39 pm

Let go of the past! Embrace the future!
    SupahTree
    SupahTree

Post by SupahTree Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:56 pm

I'd be fine with a new map. And no need to transfer Winter's Peak. It's a nice city, but we have to get a new town some day. Next stop River/Ravine town!
    CEOpotamus
    CEOpotamus
    Admin

Post by CEOpotamus Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:35 pm

Go for it...
    Sir_Sheep
    Sir_Sheep
    Donator

Post by Sir_Sheep Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:37 pm

I was about to say no, but if my town and ranch can be transferred, it makes no difference to me. Although (and I know its not my problem or business), it might be a pain in the behind to transfer all of the towns, homes, and other buildings.
    xXProdigalXx
    Player

Post by xXProdigalXx Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:45 pm

While I do feel a connection to this map I do not have anything of great value to me, and would like to start a fresh new house. Though you may definitively want to check with Ragnas...
    Alec
    Alec
    Player

Post by Alec Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:34 pm

I voted yes, only because I'm not contempt with my sad little island and I think it can do better. No need to transfer TheLonelyIsland if and when there is a new map.

Plus I cannot wait for 1.8, and since I dedicate little time to single player (and a lot of time on Republica) it would probably be better (in my opinion) if we switched a map.
    Schlichtinator
    Player

Post by Schlichtinator Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:28 pm

my only gripe is that I spent quite a while setting up the terrain for Carthage. I can always rebuild, but it shall be a pain to do again without some assistance.

How about a brand new map, but inventories roll over?
    Ragnas
    Ragnas
    Player

Post by Ragnas Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:34 pm

I like the idea of a new map. Maybe with a new map there could be stricter rules on builds. ie. no spawning items if your a Moderator. I mean its nice not actully haveing to work for items, but it keeps the server compleatly legit. Just a thought.

I am all for new map though so cant wait! I guess ill start stock piling stone coble and other good resources.
    xXProdigalXx
    Player

Post by xXProdigalXx Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:07 am

I see what you did there ragnas >.<
    Ragnas
    Ragnas
    Player

Post by Ragnas Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:30 pm

what? Trying to stop abuse of power? Its 1 thing to say you did it legit its another to actully do something legit.

I mean there is specail ocasions when things that cant really be harvested or something thats near impossible to get. but things like Cobblestone, smoothstone, dirt... I think it would add more to the MC experience if Mods couldn't give other players items. The only occasion is to fix minor griefs, or griefing in general.
    Earl_Parvisjam
    Earl_Parvisjam
    Player

Post by Earl_Parvisjam Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:39 pm

While I'll miss Notch's Cross, I'm not entirely happy with some of its positioning. It'd be nice to start fresh. The chest glitch and rash of griefers really sapped my creativity and enthusiasm. Being unusually busy didn't help..
    SupahTree
    SupahTree

Post by SupahTree Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:05 pm

Ragnas: I'm not sure what other mods do. But I don't just give items to any player unless it's for reimbursement. If I do give them an item randomly it's from my own stash of items and I'm just generous Smile.

But on the note of everything else, I wouldn't mind at all if just everything was wiped (money, items, etc). And everyone started out fresh. Perhaps make a town that everyone spawns in and that's the town everyone will have to join unless they want to live in the wild where pvp is? Then as players earn money from shops and what not they can venture out and start a town. Of course I'm certain not many other players will share this view with me. I just like the idea of starting with nothing and building up to a large town/city over time. There's just something rewarding about that Very Happy
    UltraInnes
    UltraInnes
    Player

Post by UltraInnes Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:15 pm

Sir_Sheep wrote:I was about to say no, but if my town and ranch can be transferred, it makes no difference to me. Although (and I know its not my problem or business), it might be a pain in the behind to transfer all of the towns, homes, and other buildings.
    Yeah,I was thining the same,if Ultraville can be transferred,im happy to switch maps! Very Happy
    Ragnas
    Ragnas
    Player

Post by Ragnas Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:40 pm

hoenstly I think moving whole towns would provide more of a hastle. I think that it should be 100% new
    SupahTree
    SupahTree

Post by SupahTree Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:59 pm

Yeah, that's how I felt. I just don't see Winter's Peak fitting in anywhere but where it is now
    Ragnas
    Ragnas
    Player

Post by Ragnas Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:11 pm

yeah exactly! Things just need to be a bit more fresh now any ways.
    WaxCrayon
    WaxCrayon
    Donator

Post by WaxCrayon Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:23 pm

It both sucks and doesn't at the same time. Whilst I feel a lot has been lost in Jorvik and what we did with it (getting a load of members), I also feel it'd be awesome if during the time that the map went down, it'd be a great time to make those changes to Republica and the towny system.
    i.e. No transfers and everyone starts afresh with nothing and has to actually work to become a genuine town.
    xXProdigalXx
    Player

Post by xXProdigalXx Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:28 pm

I only give items to players if they pay me
    Realirony
    Realirony
    Player

Post by Realirony Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:33 pm

I like the idea of starting a new map. 1.8 sounds like its going to be interesting and if we need to start a new map to experience it I'm all for it. Besides, I kind of would like to be around when we all start rebuilding everything so I can chip in and actually help renovate everything. And if Supah decides to make a new "Peak" or Town I'd like to be able to venture out there and help this time around instead of creeping in after its all built XD

So my vote is yes. Forget the past, embrace the future. lols
    Ragnas
    Ragnas
    Player

Post by Ragnas Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:10 pm

It looks like the verdict is swinging hard and fast towards "yes". Now we must decide weather or not we should be allowed to transfer items over from 1.7 republica to 1.8 republica. I know this will be an even bigger debate then the other. I know now I dont really feel like playing until 1.8 now because I know we are going to switch maps. I embrace the map change.

But allowing us to gather resource gives us reason to play for the time being. In all honesty I personaly think that being able to switch your items over will take away from a new map experience. We now need a new vote, for either yes or no to being able to switch over anything at all to the new map. Im against it, I woulld like to see a new world built from scratch.

This would create an even playing field for all of our new members that are already republica enthusiast and feel suppressed by the already established members of the server. I know there is a few Towns that have popped up that would be a great host to new members if they were more widely known.

Of course with that being said im basically saying "fuck jorvik" but im tired of hearing all the bitching a complaing from others. An even playing ground is what really is needed. Honestly I think the ONLY thing that should be created on the new map with Owner, Admin, or Moderator power is the spawn area. Every thing else should be made legit imo!

danger2012lol
    danger2012lol
    Player

Post by danger2012lol Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:57 pm

new map makes sense.....wait....does this mean ill need to make a new map in my server to see the new features....?
    123dfed
    Player

Post by 123dfed Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:03 pm

A new map would be nice.
    Realirony
    Realirony
    Player

Post by Realirony Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:55 pm

Everything Rag said above me makes a ton of sense and I stand behind him on it. If we start a new map we should def all start on an even playing field. No money xfer, no items, nothing. Everyone should begin anew. Owner and other high rank-ers should make a spawn city that will play the role of sanctuary for everyone to start out in (I remember someone else stating this, but I forget who, either way, credits to them). Perhaps make small apartment complexes in the spawn city that people can begin in, stake claim to, and purchase for minimal price. Maybe small 6x6 rooms with enough space for chests and such, to get on their feet, then when they make some money (which should come with some work and not so easily as it does now) they can strike out into the wilderness and start their own towns or join other towns (whose prices for plots will vary but be more expensive than the Sanctuary town).

Thats just my 2cent though. Either way I look forward to 1.8 and all of the interesting things it will bring.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 pm