Republica SMP

Welcome to the Official Forums for the Republica SMP server. Please use the buttons below to either Register or Log In.

*Please not that registering on the forums does note mean you have been accepted on the server. You will still have to fill out an application in the Applications/Promotions/Appeals section of the forum

Server IP: republica.forumotion.com

The Great 1.8 Debate

Poll

Should items/money/etc be transfered over to a new world?

[ 6 ]
    29% [29%] 
    [ 15 ]
    71% [71%] 

Total Votes: 21
    Ragnas
    Player

Re: The Great 1.8 Debate

Post by Ragnas on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:18 pm

yeah this would probably be best. Just going to be a pain when some one has to go on vacation or can play for a couple of days or something lol.

xXProdigalXx
    Player

Post by xXProdigalXx on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:24 pm

but than that raises another issue, of the money earned off of voting on minestatus, thats just tom, dick, and harry voting 7-10 times each on minestatus and continuing to vote
    Realirony
    Player

Post by Realirony on Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:05 am

That would take 7 to 10 days though wouldn't it? Unless they are voting from different ip or computers which would take some time. unless we up the cost to such a substantial amount that the 1k is small bills. I understand that people will bend the system to get their way but I don't know if we could ever completely tamper proof everything from every possible problematic player

xXProdigalXx
    Player

Post by xXProdigalXx on Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:05 am

I've tried voting from different ip's you can only vote for one IGN a day. So if they do vote they would need more accounts, then transfer the money, or have more people help them.
    Realirony
    Player

Post by Realirony on Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:18 am

I'm able to vote from my phone and from my laptop in the same day using the same IGN. But they may have changed it where you cannot because I haven't tried it like that in some time. Either way, for someone to go through the troubles described to get an extra 1k or more through voting is unimportant in relation to the larger scheme of things. If they wanna pay real-money to have extra accounts to move money around, then they deserve the in-game money XD
    henryryckeley
    Donator

Post by henryryckeley on Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:49 am

Realirony wrote:...If they wanna pay real-money to have extra accounts to move money around, then they deserve the in-game money XD

In that case they could just donate and have $30k with little/no moving of funds Very Happy
    jefe323
    Owner

Post by jefe323 on Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:28 pm

you can only vote once per IGN, but you can vote from mulitple IPs if you don't put in your IGN

Dankinator
    Player

Post by Dankinator on Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:40 pm

from reading comments here, I've realized this server allows mods to spawn items!!! No way. That is ridiculous. Can we abolish this practice, pretty please? Also, although the vote is 12-5 in favor of a completely fresh start, is there any way we can take ten item slots worth of stuff? It's really not that hard if you make the players place their items in chests all located in one small area...like at spawn. An area could be set up with single chests in rows. We could all place our ten items or whatever in the chests, and then before transferring that area to a new map, a mod or admin could make sure that only the allowable amount of items were taken by each player who chose to do so. Since the server isn't booming yet, it shouldn;t be too time consuming. If I could do it, I would. Anyhow, I look forward to becoming a more regular player here, and hope the transition to 1.8 goes smoothly. Thanks for running the server, Supahtree.
    SupahTree

Post by SupahTree on Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:54 pm

I don't run the server dank, haha. Jefe does. I'm but a moderator.
    Ragnas
    Player

Post by Ragnas on Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:31 pm

lol supah tree is god now? Jefe is probably going to start wanting you to foot the bill then! lol
    Sabertoothxz
    Donator

derp

Post by Sabertoothxz on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:08 pm

I would love a new map.
    iamminion
    Player

Post by iamminion on Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:57 am

So, whats the plan for 1.9 whenever it may come out, are we to reset again after updating to 1.8?

"•The Minecraft 1.9 update, like the 1.8, will require generation of a new area so you’ll have to start again."
    taken from http://gamerant.com/minecraft-1-8-adventure-update-release-date-robk-103314/
    Earl_Parvisjam
    Player

Post by Earl_Parvisjam on Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:01 am

iamminion wrote:So, whats the plan for 1.9 whenever it may come out, are we to reset again after updating to 1.8?

"•The Minecraft 1.9 update, like the 1.8, will require generation of a new area so you’ll have to start again."
    taken from http://gamerant.com/minecraft-1-8-adventure-update-release-date-robk-103314/

Chances are likely that'd be the case. There's no point toiling over it since there's nothing that can be done to avoid this likelihood. We don't know when 1.9 will happen (though I'm guessing it'd be around release time in Nov) so even planning for that eventuality isn't possible. Here's to hoping that once release date hits these sort of resets will become the exception rather than the rule.

Republica as a whole will want to experience the new content. If that means resetting the server, it'll happen. It's happened before and will likely happen again. Though a bit sad that this might be a short lived incarnation, the only alternative is to not play on servers until 1.9 is out and that's not really something that sounds like fun...
    SupahTree

Post by SupahTree on Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:17 am

What more terrain generation can there be?! O_o
    Thosha
    Player

Post by Thosha on Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:19 am

Snow stuff. Seems it doesn't get generated in 1.8, but will be back in 1.9 (Link)
    Maybe more/better NPC-related stuff.

On about the topic/poll. I haven't voted, because I "only just" joined the server (1 weekish), so felt like I didn't had much to vote about.
    However if it's going to be the same for 1.9, I might say some stuff.

For items; either everything or nothing. If you only allow for example diamonds, everyone will just sell all their items and spend their money on diamonds, meaning they still transfer roughly the same "value" as all items.

As for the builds, transfer all is a lot, and might be too much work. Transferring only a few good ones sounds good, but how do you quantify builds that are good? So maybe just the easiest and best to not transfer builds. However if I make a big nice build in between 1.8 and 1.9 I would still be slightly disappointed when/if it gets removed.

Last edited by Thosha on Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Do I need a reason?)
    Realirony
    Player

Post by Realirony on Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:18 am

Even though these server and map resets are a bit annoying and seem to be more of a hassle than anything else we must remember one thing that may slip our minds at times. This game is still in Beta which is still a time of testing. Tweaks and resets will be a norm for new content dropping in such a time period. When the full release hits in Nov I'm sure that the servers and maps will find a sense of calm.

I am willing to build a new town and a new nation in 1.8, gather new materials and have fun on the new map. Then when 1.9 hits and I have to start over it'll be fun imo.
    jefe323
    Owner

Post by jefe323 on Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:20 am

Here is the final decision:
    Nothing will be moved over (no items, money or buildings). We will be having a complete fresh start for everyone
    SupahTree

Post by SupahTree on Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:22 pm

D: Poor Des.
    jefe323
    Owner

Post by jefe323 on Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:30 pm

SupahTree wrote:D: Poor Des.

I have a special arrangement with him

Sponsored content