Republica SMP

Welcome to the Official Forums for the Republica SMP server. Please use the buttons below to either Register or Log In.

*Please not that registering on the forums does note mean you have been accepted on the server. You will still have to fill out an application in the Applications/Promotions/Appeals section of the forum

Server IP: republica.forumotion.com

The Great 1.8 Debate

Poll

Should items/money/etc be transfered over to a new world?

[ 6 ]
    29% [29%] 
    [ 15 ]
    71% [71%] 

Total Votes: 21
    Ragnas
    Player

Re: The Great 1.8 Debate

Post by Ragnas on Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:09 pm

Any 1.7 maps will not be fully compatibable with 1.8 I just got done reading a bunch on 1.8 a lot of the features look really good. If you want to experience the new content you will have to create a new map.

iamminion
    Player

Post by iamminion on Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:24 pm

i dont really care to experience the skinny guy mob thats coming out tho lol

new map sounds like fun tho
    SupahTree

Post by SupahTree on Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:00 am

To keep this post going I will repeat myself in saying: New town, wipe EVERYTHING

Or perhaps create a new thread about wiping all items? We could also discuss where the economy on the server will go?
    Ragnas
    Player

Post by Ragnas on Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:02 am

I like the idea get a new thread started! Part 1 of the debate has now come to a close. Now for part 2!
    dt546

Post by dt546 on Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:09 am

Can we please not wipe everything? this is the third town me, wax and noiceage have built, each on separate maps. They have all taken a lot of our time and so much work went into Jorvik especially. I can see the point in a map reset, but too much time and effort have gone into Jorvik and I would hate to see it go.
    This could seem pretty selfish, but I know that people have put huge amounts of time into the town and it was one of the original towns on this map.

henryryckeley
    Donator

Post by henryryckeley on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:27 am

dt546 wrote:Can we please not wipe everything? [...]too much time and effort have gone into Jorvik and I would hate to see it go.

If there's concern about town transfers messing up economy, maybe the town itself could transfer, but remove chests and spawners?
    SupahTree

Post by SupahTree on Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:28 pm

Yeah, and even though Jorvik would be transferred they would still have to earn the money to make it official (If towny gets revamped as talked about earlier). But yes. It's quite exciting. Also, will we just wait for 1.9 because Notch said he'd release it a little bit after 1.8?
    henryryckeley
    Donator

Post by henryryckeley on Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:38 pm

hopefully 1.8 is the one that makes all the world generation changes, and 1.9 adds NPC's and other adventure stuff...
    jefe323
    Owner

Post by jefe323 on Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:39 pm

as i understand it, all the terrain generation things are done (saw them in the promo vid from PAX)
    SupahTree

Post by SupahTree on Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:16 pm

Oh, that's good news Very Happy It's going to great to start anew, especially with all this new stuff. On a side note, Cobalt looked pretty fun, reminds me of Metal Slug, and you can't go wrong with Metal Slug
    Aekely
    Player

Post by Aekely on Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:54 pm

I say lets go Very Happy Like, we should transport some buildings as well.
    Earl_Parvisjam
    Player

Post by Earl_Parvisjam on Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:58 pm

Is there a plan to prep the wiki for the new map, since this sounds like the way things are going? Now would be the best time to figure out how to deal with this sort of thing.

Same thing goes for the Sanctuary. Perhaps, the sanctuary and starting spawn could be created ahead of time and ported in. This way, there could be server vendors available to kick start the economy from the start.

My opinion of the last server reset was that the economy was fubar from the start. Money didn't mean anything and it wasn't until I sold a plot in Notch's Cross that I even broke $1k.
    jefe323
    Owner

Post by jefe323 on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:05 pm

I will be building the spawn point before opening the map
    Earl_Parvisjam
    Player

Post by Earl_Parvisjam on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:09 pm

jefe323 wrote:I will be building the spawn point before opening the map

And that's why this server is so great. Glad to hear it!
    Alec
    Player

Post by Alec on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:19 pm

I don't agree with the movement of entire towns (especially HUGE towns) because it would destroy the new map. Not to mention it would give said town a huge advantage against other towns. I think we should all start fresh on the new map (but be able to transfer valuables). I know it's a huge loss for some people, but it would be better if we all start fresh and adventure together. I just want everyone to have to work to start a new and refreshing town, not the same thing we saw on the old map. I mean, I understand people put effort into creating things on the old map but they'll just need to suck it up and start fresh.

SupahTree

Post by SupahTree on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:34 pm

Well if towns can't be transferred then why transfer items? That would also give those who have been around longer a bigger advantage as they'd have more valuable items. I say if we're going to not transfer towns, we don't transfer items. But if we do transfer towns, then item transfer is okay Very Happy And I'm assuming donators will start with the money they earn from donating?
    Ragnas
    Player

Post by Ragnas on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:46 pm

I aggree with supah. If we cant transfer some things why transfer anything at all? Im sure Jorvik's stockpiles are bigger then most of any ones at all.

1.8 would be a great re-start. No chest glitch item refunds or anything. Just straight up new fresh map restart. I love Jorvik, and some of my greatest builds where made a part of Jorvik. It is time for new. Hopefully this map will stick considering the the whole map generation is coming to an end.
    SupahTree

Post by SupahTree on Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:04 pm

Yeah, I'm hoping after this new map there won't be anything else to change. But we'll never know what the release/post-release will bring Very Happy. But yeah, a fresh start for everyone seems like it'd make less towns but dense towns.
    NoIceAge
    Player

Post by NoIceAge on Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:02 am

NEW MAP! FUCK JORVIK!
    (really constructive comment Razz)
    dt546

Post by dt546 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:43 am

i agree, jorvik is great, so are a lot of buildings on this map, but i think we need a new start, mabye something to control the number of towns, but yeah
    xxswitchblade1
    Player

Post by xxswitchblade1 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:53 am

I'm ok with it as long as I can bring over all my items.

Realirony
    Player

Post by Realirony on Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:02 am

Yea I think I heard Supah say there was something like 17 towns in existence but some were made by 1 dude that crated it and stayed alone or left it empty. Having fewer towns and zero ghost towns would be best. As for transferring items, I realize that many people have a lot of nice things but they are usually easily replaced with some work or help. Transferring items or towns will give some players economic and social advantages over the rest. If we are gonna start fresh it should be all or nothing.
    Alec
    Player

Post by Alec on Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:04 pm

So we've all agreed that towns should not be moved over, but we haven't all agreed on whether or not items should be moved over.

I'll vote on not transferring items over on the condition that NOBODY can transfer items over. Same goes for towns and possibly economy.

Also: No more moderators spawning materials to build with. Everything on the new map should be gathered by hand (except for spawn and things like that). No more setting the time to day, if everyone wants day everyone can sleep in a bed. No exceptions. I think it would just make the server more of a SURVIVAL (or adventure?) server like it is supposed to be.

As Ragnas (I think?) likes to mention, towns should be started on an APPROVAL basis as well. This will stop most people from starting random pop-up towns such as Redforge, 356653toplis, Sparta, Teshket, Ashwickvalley, Ethador?, Ultraville? (not sure if ultraville and ehtador are pop up towns but you get the general idea). Towns should as well require much more to start and maintain (this was all discussed on another thread I believe).

Just my two cents.

henryryckeley
    Donator

Post by henryryckeley on Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:32 pm

/me agrees with everything Alec just said!

and it sounds like there will be more control over day/night cycles in 1.8 -- maybe we can make night last half as long or something... there's also the fact that carried torches will cast light, it will be interesting to see what the new lighting engine brings to the nighttime experience (maybe night will be enjoyable now) Very Happy
    SupahTree

Post by SupahTree on Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:08 pm

I vote items not transfer as well. Also, we did discuss making towns more difficult to start/maintain (making start-up cost be around 20-30 thousand. With upkeep costs going up to about 500-750. Also I enjoy night, it gives me time to mine/smelt/improve house. With it constantly being day I'd feel like I need to venture out to get wood and stuff all the time Very Happy.

But like henry said 1.8 is going to bring a lot of new content/control over the server. I vote for a higher height limit Wink (if it's present). But yes, 1.8 is going to bring so much more to minecraft and starting from scratch would be the best way to really enjoy it all (to me at least).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:36 pm